Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Forge welding achieved

In my second attempt at forge welding, today I managed to achieve a forge weld. There are three things I did differently the second time around. First I tried a different steel, instead of the mystery stainless steel from the scrapyard I used GCR15 from the deep groove bearing steel I had. Then at a forging heat I lightly hammered the mini billet together to try and get the surfaces as close as possible before welding. At the heat is also when I applied the borax, from some trouble shooting on the internet. I can across Walter sorrels saying that if the billet is heated too high before applying borax, scale starts to form. So those were the three changes I made and it seemed to have been more effective in achieving a weld. Here is a small piece I hammered out I tried not to get over zealous and try forging massive on the first try. 

No comments: