Saturday, June 28, 2014

Forge welding attempt1

Now that my forge is up, running and ready. I decided that I would try some pattern welding, that I've been wanting to do since I started building my forge.... It didn't work. I'm not entirely dissappointed, the failed welding is minor compared to the actual experience of going through the actual process. Seeing for myself the welding temperature that I have been reading and researching, the occasional spark flying out of the forge indicating the steel reaching temperature, and seeing the flux dance around. All these things were what many smiths taught to look for. My diagnosis is that the "stainless steel" I got from the scrapyard in of a disagreeable alloy ,smiths say certain fire scales are hard to get rid of therefore difficult to weld. I will Change steels and try again, it feels so close!


No comments: