Friday, April 19, 2013

Visit to Prinsloo


Yesterday I went to visit a knife maker that I met at DEKS; Mr P Prinsloo. I'm very sorry for not taking my camera, I wasn't sure If he would be comfortable with me taking photos of his set up. That aside, he showed me his workshop and wow what a neat space you would think it's a German watchmakers shop. He was so welcoming, even gave some handle materials. We had a long chat about my stuff and what he does and he let in on some trade secrets. He said ,paraphrase ," you're doing very well for one starting out, and taking on stuff like this(holding my Puuko). It's encouraging". Towards the end of my visit we went into his home and chatted further about my jewellery and knife making future and he gave some of his blade magazines! The two bland pieces of handle material from the left, a piece of bamboo flooring and on the right a piece of African rosewood and in the top corner some rams horn from Bethlehem in South Africa. I left that visit very excitted and Mr Prinsloo said I was always welcome to come by and visit to ask questions.

No comments: